Scribblings, Part 3
BTW, if you think this is a really terrible idea, now would be the time to mention it…
Reformatting my rough notes into an outline, I’m concerned that it’s too short to make 80-100K words. I might have to find some ways to pad it. Of course I thought that with the Chet Finley vs. The Machines of Fate story and then wound up throwing out most of the “padding” scenes in the outline and basically going back to the original–and it was still well over 100K!
If it’s too short I can always fix it in a second draft.
The Magic Wand
Rough Story Outline
Theme-like substance: The magic of love and whatnot.
- So we begin our “Sisterhood” reboot in 1994-ish when Coop is 6 or so. He’s in bed, scared of a monster. He’s thought there were monsters before, but this time there really is a bogeyman in the closet. As he pretends to sleep, a woman appears in his room and destroys the monster. He sees her use magic to destroy it. She realizes her mistake and uses a spell to wipe his memory. (Except the memory remains like a dream, vaguely remembered in the back of his mind.)
- About 16 years later, Sylvia is tracking down a Class-5 demon which has possessed some dude in Sweden. She has to chase him through crowds and such, but finally catches up to him and kills him.
- She goes to her favorite watering hole, where Glenda meets up with her. Glenda tells her that there’s a magical disturbance in Rampart City, at the university. As one of the “offensive magic” specialists, Sylvia should go check it out and take care of it.
- Coop is an engineering student at Rampart State. He’s working in secret on a really bizarre project, a device that taps into supernatural forces. Or in other words, a magic wand! His girlfriend Cecelia shows up and he shows her that he’s almost finished.
- Cecelia pretends not to understand, but later she sends a message to the Headmistress, who tents her fingers and says, “Excellent.”
- Sylvia goes back to the house in Rampart City she shares with Aggie. They talk a bit and then Sylvia makes herself look young again. She gets some supplies to help her track down the source of the disturbance.
- She heads out to Rampart State and walks around the campus. She runs into Emma, who is a geology professor there in this universe and then heads for the labs.
- Eventually she finds Coop at the lab and starts talking to him. He shows her his great invention, at least until Cecelia shows up.
- There’s some tension between her and Sylvia as Cecelia takes Coop away to go to a party.
- Sylvia goes to the party, watching Coop and Cecelia. When she determines it’s safe, she sneaks out to go back to where Coop has hidden the magic wand.
- As she’s about to steal it, a masked assassin (Cecelia) shows up and there’s a fight. It’s pretty much a draw and then Coop blunders in. Before Cecelia can take Coop and the wand, Sylvia grabs him and vanishes him away.
- They first go to her house in Edinburgh, where she explains that she’s a witch.
- Coop remembers her from his “dream” when he was a kid and realizes it wasn’t a dream.
- Meanwhile, Cecelia reports back to the Headmistress, telling her about the witch who showed up. The Headmistress tells her to stake out Aggie’s house in case Sylvia shows up there. In the meantime, the Headmistress has a pretty good idea of where Sylvia might have gone.
- Sylvia is meeting with Glenda while Coop is locked in the house. Sylvia talks with Glenda until they both get a bad feeling.
- Some assassins show up and Coop takes shelter in the attic or something.
- Sylvia insists she can handle things and goes back to her house alone to defeat the assassins and rescue Coop again.
- They head back to Rampart City, to Aggie’s basement. There they meet with Aggie, who gives Coop a potion to disguise him. Sylvia changes her appearance as well and they walk out the front door.
- Cecelia, who’s been watching the house and didn’t see anyone go in, knows who it is and follows them.
- Later, at the train station, where Sylvia is going to buy a couple of tickets to somewhere, Cecelia shows up.
- They have another showdown, but Sylvia and Coop manage to escape, this time vanishing to Japan.
- There they meet Sylvia’s mentor Hisae Chu, who takes Coop in while Sylvia goes to warn Aggie.
- Sylvia meets with Aggie, telling her that the bad guys are watching the house and that Aggie needs to go somewhere else for a little while. Aggie agrees to go, wishing Sylvia luck and telling her to be careful.
- Cecelia goes to Aggie’s house later to find Aggie gone. She makes a call to the Headmistress and then goes to the airport.
- Sylvia and Hisae talk in private while Coop takes a nap or something, at least until more assassins come after them.
- Sylvia and Hisae defeat them, but it’s decided that they need to go somewhere else.
- They go to Romania (or wherever Transylvania was) where Sylvia used to have a safe house when she hunted vampires. They have a heated argument, during which Sylvia decides she needs to find out who’s trying to kidnap Coop.
- She leaves Coop there alone so that she can go try to find out something about these assassins. Coop tries to find a way to call home, but there’s no phone and he can’t get out of the safe house.
- She vanishes to New Orleans, where she meets Andre, her old friend from the French Revolution, who’s managed to stay alive thanks to voodoo magic. (Or technically he might be undead. Whatever.)
- She talks to him about the assassins they’ve run into and he tells her about some rumors he’s heard about a secret society known as the Heretics.
- Their meeting is interrupted, and after escaping, Sylvia goes back to Romania.
- Sylvia decides that maybe these Heretics are tracking her magic when she vanishes, so she and Coop take to the hills by conventional means.
- They flee east towards Switzerland. Along the way they probably talk a bit more about who wants to capture Coop and why and about magic and stuff in general.
- They reach the Milton School for Girls. Sylvia leaves Coop to go in and talk with Regina Milton.
- Sylvia wants Regina to help her hide Coop, but Regina refuses, insisting that it’s too dangerous to keep him with a bunch of young girls.
- Sylvia goes back to give Coop the bad news. She decides they’ll go to Italy, where she knows some places from when she visited there with Alejandro.
- Coop senses that something is wrong when they reach Florence and after some prodding, Sylvia takes him somewhere private to talk
- Sylvia tells him about her affair with Alejandro that eventually produced a daughter, who she gave up.
- Coop and Sylvia share a tender moment. Then Coop stupidly calls home or something to blow their cover.
- This time when the assassins come for them, they tell Sylvia that they have Aggie. They’ll trade her for Coop and the wand on the old Joubert estate in France.
- So Sylvia and Coop go to Marseilles, where they look through the house until they find where Cecelia has Aggie captive. Cecelia used an Inner Child potion to make Aggie a little mortal girl.
- Coop is surprised to see his girlfriend Cecelia there holding Aggie hostage. Cecelia then reveals her true self and as she talks about how long she and the Heretics have waited for revenge, everything falls in place for Sylvia.
- Sylvia realizes that Cecelia is her daughter, the one she gave up 190 years ago and thought was long dead. There’s a skirmish and Cecelia ends up with Coop and the wand, using the wand to take Sylvia’s power, leaving her as a decrepit mortal woman.
- Later, after a possible flashback of Sylvia giving up her daughter, she wakes up.
- Sylvia is blind, so little Aggie tells her how to brew a couple of potions to get them both back to normal. Aggie wants to go with Sylvia to track down Cecelia and Coop, but Sylvia refuses. She knows the only real chance they have to get Coop/the wand back without killing Cecelia is for her to reason with Cecelia, which she has to do alone. But maybe she asks Aggie to go find Glenda and sound the alarm with the other witches, just in case Sylvia fails.
- She goes back to New Orleans, where with some help from Andre, Sylvia makes something so she can detect the magic wand, which should lead her to Cecelia and Coop.
- This takes Sylvia to Notre Dame in Paris, ironically where she left Cecelia to go with her adopted parents. Sylvia confronts Cecelia, telling her everything while at the same time trying to hold off the magic from the wand.
- Cecelia gets the upper hand, but she can’t bring herself to destroy Sylvia, realizing the truth that her mother really does love her. Instead, she takes the wand and runs away, promising that they’ll meet again.
- Coop and Sylvia hug and make out a bit in their elation, but then quickly break it off. Sylvia vanishes them back to Rampart City so Coop can go home.
- Later, Sylvia meets with Glenda to go over things. They’re looking for the wand, but it seems Cecelia has found a way to hide its magic signature. So they have to wait for the other shoe to drop.
- Even later, Sylvia goes back to Rampart City, where she and Aggie talk about Alejandro and Cecelia and hug it out. Sylvia decides she’s going to be around more to spend more time with her sister. But then she leaves to go check on Coop. There’s some awkwardness and a brief kiss before they part ways.
- And then we have Cecelia turning over the wand to the Headmistress, who congratulates her and says this is their first step towards victory. After that, Cecelia goes somewhere to be alone and think about her mother and her future.
Or some damned thing…